Since Friday I’ve been writing about the Fukushima disaster. At first I even added videos and I had a clear image of what was going on: Saturday, explosion in reactor number one, Monday or Tuesday, explosion in number three.
But now each hour we read about problems here or there, of pools with rods, of fire in reactor four, of radiation here or there, of helicopters, of workers leaving. Of sea water now and then.
In brief, there is a momment I feel as an idiot following the events taking place in Fukushima because what is happening now in Fukushima is total chaos.
At the same time you see the images of the tsunami zones now full of snow. And all this while the a mad man called Gaddafi will in some days be able to torture and kill the people from Lybia who long for freedom. And who did not get any help from the Western World.
All this of Fukushima makes me realise that sooner or later we will have to get used to radioactive alerts. And I am afraid that when we looked back to waht is going on in Fukushima we will realise this is nothing in comparison with future developments. It is quite difficult not to forsee that in the future there will be, at some point, a nuclear war. Maybe it won’t be a global war. Maybe just a local war between the two koreas or in the Israel and Iran aerea.
We cannot continue like this. If we continue like that not only humankind is in danger of survival. Even any kind of life is in danger.
As I live thousands of kilometers from Japan sometimes I feel I should not worry so much about what is going on in Japan. It is bad but quite far from where I live. But I also have nuclear power reactors near so I am worried. Not worried because something wrong may happen now or tomorrow. I am worried that people in the world do not realise that we cannot continue like this. The era of electricity must take a big change. If we want to continue living in an age with electricity then we have to realise we should do something because nuclear energy is dangerous (I just imagine a war and the enemy throwing normal bombs to a nuclear plant!)
A world that relies so much in electricity and petrol is now in crisis. A think that after Fukushima a technological revolution must start!
- How Long Can the Fukushima Nuclear Threat Last? (11mar11.wordpress.com)
- Fukushima: How Can We Prepare for Disaster? (abcnews.go.com)
- Reactor Redux: What’s Happening at Fukushima-Daiichi? (newsfeed.time.com)
- ProducerMatthew.com: Fukushima Governor: We Need Supplies, Accurate Information (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Japan nuclear plant disaster: engineer ‘retired 35 years ago’ over Fukushima safety concerns (telegraph.co.uk)
- Fukushima and the Media Approach (11mar11.wordpress.com)
- Fukushima no Chernobyl but will reignite nuclear fear – physicist (rt.com)
- All plant workers evacuated (news.ninemsn.com.au)