Until some hours ago I was quite worried about what could be the next bad news coming from Fukushima Daiichi.
Now I have realised that there is also another problem adding to the nuclear problem happening now. The problem is not to know for how long are we going to stay in this horrible situation?
Chernobyl was the major disaster that has happened. But it already happened. Experts say that Fukushima cannot be compared to Chernobyl and I want to believe them. But my worry is that although Fukushima may not be so worse as Fukushima in the long run can be quite harmful.
First of all we have to take into account that Japan is a very populated nation. We also have to take into account that we are talking about an accident in an island. In Chernobyl people go far from the accident without the need of a plane or a ship.
Another consideration is that Chernobyl was not next to a megacity of about 30 milion people!I have read that now there are only 50 people working in the Fukushima I plant. Now they are trying to calm things there but what happens in the long term?
I am starting to think not just in now but later. We can be days and days trying to cool down the reactors but at some point we should think about an end to this situation. Now it seems that we are just worried in what happens today but it is necessary to think about what we do to end completely this nightmare. It is crazy to imagine that this situation lasts and lasts.
It is like a fire in a forest. Maybe we know the fire won’t affect the whole forest but we cannot live next to the forest day and day without extinguishing the fire.
- Fukushima: how it rates alongside other nuclear disasters (telegraph.co.uk)
- Video: this is what a Chernobyl-level nuclear meltdown looks like (dvice.com)
- Nuke Engineer: Fuel Rod Fire at Fukushima Reactor “Would Be Like Chernobyl on Steroids” (my.firedoglake.com)
- The Fukushima Disaster, Hyperbole, Credibility, Skepticism, and the Future of Nuclear Power [Greg Laden’s Blog] (scienceblogs.com)
- Chernobyl’s radioactive legacy (macleans.ca)
- Radiation exposure: What’s the danger for Japan and America? (cbsnews.com)
- Three Mile Island Accident Different From Fukushima Daiichi (npr.org)
- Does France have special information about Fukushima? (ktwop.wordpress.com)
- PHOTOS: Check Out What Uncontained Nuclear Meltdown Did To Chernobyl (businessinsider.com)
- New Fire at Fukushima Nuclear Plant (nowpublic.com)
- Fukushima Radiation Release Exceeds NRC Design-Basis Limit (tipggita32.wordpress.com)